Sunday, May 22, 2011

Developing the Desire to Do God's Will

Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way? John 14:5 (NIV)
Am I willing to decide, in advance, that I will do what God asks me to do, no matter what it is? Or do I say, "God, show me the whole plan, wait for me to understand, and then I'll decide whether or not to do what you ask"?
Do you realize that when you’re not obedient to Jesus, you’re fighting against what is best for you? You’re fighting against God’s purpose for your life.
Part of the strength God gives you to “do all things through him” is the ability to choose to do his will, even before you know the full implications of what that means. He will begin to change your desire, developing within you more and more of a “want” to do his will.

Am I willing to decide, in advance, that I will do what God asks
me  to do, no matter what it is? Am I abandoned to him and his will, believing he will strengthen me to do all the things he asks? Or do I behave as if I believe I am the final judge of what is best for my life: “God, show me the whole plan, wait for me to understand, and then I’ll decide whether or not to do what you ask”?

The Good News is that, even if you’re not ready for immediate obedience, God will give you strength to be honest with him. He already knows about your hesitancy, so he won’t be surprised by prayerful confessions, such as, “Father, I’m not sure I’m ready to do your will. I don’t know if I want to do it or not.”
Yet God is gracious and patient. Tell him, “I don’t know that I’m willing to step out in faith without first knowing everything that’s going to happen, but I’m willing to be made willing.”


by Jon Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment